Monday 23 April 2012

A Very Thrifty Soup



Last week I had a big dilemma, what do I have for lunch? I looked in the fridge, it was the day before my big shop so my fridge was a little bare to say the least. 

My ingredient list

Chicken thigh meat (cooked)
Sweet potato
Carrots
frozen sweetcorn

Food cupboard
Lentils
garlic
wine 
Stock
herbs and spices

What could I make that would comfort us on a cold rainy day... SOUP! Sooo that is what I did...

Miss Dolly's comfort soup

1. Start by frying off some garlic in a tbsp on olive oil, add around 250ml of white wine and let it boil. Pour in 500ml of chicken stock and top it up with some extra hot water. 

2. Whilst the stock was boiling peel and cut up 1 sweet potato and around 3 carrots. Add them to the stock along with bouquet garni, pepper, thyme and add a little salt if it is needed. Let everything come to the boil. 

3. Once the carrots and sweet potato are cooked, add the sweetcorn and cook until ready. 

4. Drain the veg into a colander over a large bowl to catch the stock and return the saucepan to simmer and add a few handfuls of orange lentils. 

5. Place all the veg into a food processor, add a small amount of chicken and blend until the veg is a smooth puree. 

6. Return to your stock and lentils. Pour in the veg puree and mix until it resembles a soup. Now add the chicken, a little sweetcorn and adjust your seasoning. When your are happy with your soup serve with a nice roll or bread and butter.

Ohw I love comfort food, don't you? 


2 comments:

  1. this looks lovely! Soup is always quite satisfying to make, and I love the fact that you can make oooodles and freeze it for later enjoyment with no risk of it spoiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh how tasty! With this weather not set to change rapidly I will be definitely whipping up a batch :)

    ReplyDelete